Monday, March 17, 2008

Must not owe for the rest of my life

Saving money and catching up are a big deal. Big deal. Like most people my age, or any age, we:

Carry too much debt.
Don't save enough.
Don't contribute enough toward retirement.
Buy stuff we don't need.

So it's time to fix it. A few months back I started saving 20% of my check, and wouldn't you know it, all I can think about is spending it on a vacation! But alone it sits for now. I know I should be putting it all towards debt, it's just difficult. I like that there is a little stock pile, and I mean little!

I have to get over it, I have to focus on spending, or not spending or smart spending. Something. It can be frustrating. But now that I have been caffeine free for over a week, and yes, the withdrawals have pretty much gone away, I need to start saving more than that three dollars a day. The savings are helpful, but I am a believer in baby steps, and that means that I must take another towards being frugal. Ack, somewhere my dads heart is beating faster and a he has an unexplainable smile plastered across his face. He'll read this later and think, "ah, she gets it, no wonder I was so giddy last night."

I do get it, but the self control it takes is huge. I am a firm believer that we are only allowed so much self control in a day. I think I use a lot of my self discipline focusing on the needs/happiness of others, and I like this about myself. It makes me feel good. Perhaps I need to better divide that time by using some of my discipline to monitor both my spending and my eating. I would feel a lot better about myself. I could write a whole post on self control, so I will save it for another day.

2 comments:

Casey Frazee said...

Haha, I was with you about the financial issues with people our age ... until you said Yotsuba was something we don't need. Sushi is a way of life. That I can only afford once a month : )

RoseAnn Nicolai said...

Oh Casey, I need it. I love sushi! But I probably shouldn't need it so much.