Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Weight loss Wednesdays: what not to read

Wednesday is upon us and it is time for an update, but first, what not to read.

Oxygen Magazine

I bought this magazine mostly because of the marketing tactics placed all over the cover.

Glute issue, Start Now, Instant results (which I know is a lie but maybe it was good advice), 37 butt sculpting moves, 25 easy tips, 10 things you don't know about your glutes!

And that is not even all of them. I bought it because I am always in the mood for some good reading on fitness, healthy diet and tips to making my butt look like, well, the cover model for the issue.

Tosca Reno, a columnist for the mag wrote a review of her own book and how it will help me "eat clean." It was basically a giant advertisement for the book with a touch of content, was no one else available to review the book? Perhaps one of the other major columnists (her husband) could have handled the task.

The editing in this magazine goes in and out of sounding like a high school paper. Some of it is pieced together seamlessly, with beginnings, middles, ends and even a purpose, but, too much of it is thrown together in static thoughts with no details. There is repetitive confusion in many of the articles.

From a Q and A section:

Q: I like long-distance running. However, I'm concerned about my lack of
butt roundness. Is it running that keeping me from having rounded glutes?

A: It depends on whether you are a sprinter or a long-distance runner. Sprinters
usually have well developed glutes. Long-distance runners are invariable light
framed or even downright skinny, and therefore have non-existent butts. If you
were to take up sprinting you would be certain to improve your butt
contour. The choice is yours.

Did this mystery writer not start by saying long-distance was in fact her thing? And what a response. Ugh.

This magazine had more advertorials and special ad sections than most and offered low quality content. Every piece of advice was "just follow the workouts shown in this magazine and you'll be on your way." At no point did it suggest going to a trainer to learn proper techniques and, even suggested that by doing the workouts of stars like Jessica Biel and J-Lo that my butt could look like theirs. Oh my, genetics is just not going to let that happen.

So to wrap up, you now know all you need to about this magazine. If you are looking for some quality content pick up a Self or Fitness instead.

On to the weight loss, workouts have been good, it is probably time to amp up the intensity. Where food is concerned, I have really been watching what I eat but I think I may need to cut out even more. I am going to go over the food list and let you know what I think needs to go. First on the list is probably my Wed. pizza plus combo from Shield's, but a slice of pizza, salad and a bread stick for $4.99 is such an awesome deal it will be hard to resist.

No comments: