Monday, February 11, 2008

What to do when you're just like your parents? Deal.


"You're just like your father." It's true. I am also, at times, just like my mother. I am fairly happy (made peace with) about it. They raised me, and being like them is certainly not the worst thing. At times it may even be the best.

So why do people use it as an insult? When having a recent debate with my grandma and mom, things went crazy. My grandma made a statement and backed it up. I then made a statement, and backed it up. Apparently I had too much back up. (How dare I have multiple reasons to support what I say?)

My mother shoots off a "You're just like your father," and grandma quickly agrees. My father is a lot of things, some of them good and some of them bad, but he knows how to debate an issue. He follows the news religiously, cites facts and sources when he supports or negates a stance, and takes time to look at other sides. Admittedly, it can get intense. From years of trying to assert my "right-ness" or "left-ness" as the case may be, I too have learned to follow these things with diligence. Yes, it is true I enjoy debating topics from politics, environment, movies, and even food. I like opinions, I like the "why factor." And, when you've known me for a day, a year, or a lifetime, you know what to expect when offering your opinion.

6 comments:

James M. Lynch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RoseAnn Nicolai said...

So, I had the first 'value free, look at me' comment on the blog. I think we, my 2 readers and I, should go out for drinks Friday.
HA

Kevin said...

Sounds good, moderator is buying right?

Dana Weeks said...

I second Kevin's 'moderator buying' comment. Dave asked me if I ever disagree with your view points. I told him that usually, no, but when I do you somehow manage to convince me otherwise. Tricky Tricky.

Casey Frazee said...

haha - I want to know what the comment said that was deleted!!

RoseAnn Nicolai said...

It said
"Vist XXinsertnameXX.blogspot.com"

No statement to go with it, and while a real blog, um, I just couldn't leave it there.