Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sometimes You're Just a Kid

While working on her master's, my friend lives with her father. I've known this family for at least fifteen years, and when we were kids, her dad would drive us to the movies, order pizza for our sleepovers and the many other wonderful things dads do.

A few weeks back I was headed to my friend's house to rehearse a tap number on a Sunday morning. I stopped at 7- Eleven for some coffee and water and was starting to call her to see if she or her dad wanted anything. When I looked up, there he was.

"I'm calling you"

"But I am right here"

"Well, I am calling Andrea, do you know if she wants anything?"

"I think I asked her and she said no, double check"

I did, and she didn't, so I go to buy my stuff and he is standing ahead of me…

"and add her coffee and water"

"I can get it"

"No"

He gave me that I'm the adult and you're the kid look, and while I know that if this had been a game of poker, he'd have taken me for all I've got, when it comes to snacks, I'm still just a kid.

I'm 25.

While I am proud of the things I have accomplished in my life so far, and I felt pretty awkward not buying my coffee, I have to admit it was freeing. For one sweet moment, I went back in time and was just a kid.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Loved that!!

Amy W. said...

Somehow I missed this entry even though I read the one before and after it...but I am glad I went back and read it! It is just so true :)