Thursday, May 8, 2008

Forced Networking at WomCom

Tonight was the Women in Communications annual Matrix awards. Let's start by saying I only half wanted to go. There were a few women I was really looking forward to seeing but mostly I wanted to sleep after the long day at the florist.

I got there and the only people I knew where fairly busy so I set off to mingle and network. I spent some time at the bar (while wishing I was at the barre), forcing conversations and I can't honestly tell you what I said and I know even less about what they said. It isn't that I wasn't interested or that there was nothing to be gained from meeting them, it's that I was too dang tired to care.

After some sitting and some downtime of casually talking to women I do know, I was ready to try again. This time I struck up some really great conversations and I am fairly certain only pleasant, mildly intelligent things flowed out of my mouth. I will know more next week when I find out if any of these women respond to my emails.

If you are looking for funny networking stories, I am too tired to provide but I highly recommend one from Steve Crescenzo. All have to say is, I was very tempted to use my cell phone to call my wallet.

No comments: